Monday, May 25, 2020

Sand and Sea Wrap Bracelet - Photo Tutorial


Since I'm still stuck inside and not buying new craft supplies until I work down my huge stash, I made this wrap bracelet out of beads that I've had for years.

I'm in love with this color combo - it reminds me of a blissful seaside retreat.

Materials needed:
- Beads of choice
- Leather cord (2mm diameter, enough length to wrap around your wrist 2x as long as you want the bracelet. My bracelet wraps my wrist 5 times, so I cut my leather cord long enough to wrap around my wrist 10 times + 1 more time to give me room for tying knots, etc.)
- Crochet thread or beading thread (3x as long as leather cord). I used crochet thread so that's what I'll call it throughout the instructions.
- (optional but very helpful) Cardboard bobbin to wind the crochet/beading thread on while working
- Thin plastic wire to help with threading beads
- Clasp, toggle, or just add extra length to your leather cord to make a big knot

Instructions:
1. Find the center of your leather cord and tie an overhand loop knot so that you have two working cords coming out of the knot.

2. Tie a slip knot at the beginning of your crochet thread and tighten it just below your knot in the leather cord. Wrap the crochet/beading thread several times around both of your working leather cords, hiding the short tail of your slip knot inside this wrap (which I messed up in the picture below). At this point, it might be helpful to put a book or something similar over the overhand loop to hold it down while you work (I used my planner as a weight). At this point, it should look something like the below (but ignore the bead in the photo - adding beads is coming next).


3. Wrap the crochet thread around the front of the right working cord.

4. Thread the thin plastic wire through the bead. (Note: I'm using a pretty thick plastic wire here so you can see it in the pictures. I would recommend using a thinner one, as it will be MUCH easier to pull through.)


5. Lay the crochet thread over the plastic wire and loop the plastic wire back through the bead in the other direction.


6. Pull the plastic wire loop through the hole in the bead, drawing the crochet thread through with it (you should now have a loop of crochet thread going through the bead).


7. Thread the left working leather cord through this crochet thread loop and pull gently until snug (but not tight) to anchor the bead to the left side of the bracelet.


8. Wrap the crochet thread around the right working leather cord from front to back.

For the next bead, repeat steps 3-8 but wrapping on the right leather cord from back to front. That is, in step 3 wrap the crochet thread along the back of the leather cord, and in step 8, wrap from back to front.

Continue adding beads to desired length, alternating whether you are wrapping from the front or wrapping from the back. This creates a wave pattern along the right side of the bracelet that fits perfectly with the beach/sea theme.


9. Finishing the bracelet - depending on your desired toggle/clasp/knot ending, this part will be a bit different. For a clasp or toggle, tie the two working leather cords together in another overhand loop knot. Wrap the crochet thread through or around this knot and tie your clasp or toggle on securely.


I used a toggle made out of an old earring whose mate got lost years ago. The rhinestoned bar was perfect for a toggle with just a bit of sparkle.






No comments:

Post a Comment